Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bangkok after the riots.

I have just arrived home after 2 days in Bangkok - work trip. When I first mentioned this trip to my friends, and then later posted my 'outstation' status on Facebook, many of them quizzed if it is the right time to go.


When, exactly is the right time? I mused.


Granted, we all know that the political situation in the Land of Smiles is far from stable; on departure day, reports of the anti-government protestors starting somethings were flashed on the news. Then again, we all know how the media sensationalizes.


So when we felt that the dust has somewhat settled (from talking to our counterparts, partners there), we decided to quickly ascend into the city, do the necessary hellos, meetings and updates with the important parties and then move out quickly.


Well, at least for me, because I have a wedding to attend on Saturday hence the short trip.


One of the taxi rides took us past the Central World Shopping Centre, the mall that bore the worst brunt of the 3-months riots. It looked like a 9-11 ground zero site, except of a much smaller scale. I had a mixture of feelings seeing the barricaded building, all shops closed sans the street hawkers flanking the steps that once led tourists, locals alike into the swanky mall.


The locals told me the owners will be rebuilding the destroyed building but the process may take a few years.


Then over coffee with our client, we learnt that there were a few other buildings in Siam Square area, opposite Siam Paragon were also burnt down. That came across as a shock to me, because all along, I thought the worst hit was merely the Central World. See, either the news sensationalize, or it simply omits.


Just as well the media did not pick it up. It would have been a bigger blow to the tourism industry for the city. Already there is an ongoing price war amongst the hotels; the inbound operators are finding it hard to keep the business going with the tourists keeping away. For once, traffic in Bangkok city was smooth and I could get from one place to another in under 20 minutes!


I feel sorry for what has happened to the lovely city. That said, like what the locals say, the protests are ongoing; if it aint's the Reds, it will be the Yellows. It is something the Thais will have to live with, and live around it.


To the resilient Thais, life goes on.


till later.

No comments:

Post a Comment