Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Breathing Space...Finally!

It was the morning of the Monday just past, that I recieved the first BB message from a good client, "Good luck babe. Today's the day."


Indeed it was, the days of preparing, meetings and discussions finally culminating to this day - the first golf event we managed for the year.


For some strange reason, that Monday seemed to fly by in a flash; so much so that at some point, I was on the verge of panicking as the on-course set-up had yet to be completed at 12.30pm!


Thankfully for the existing 'guan xi' - relationship - we had with the set-up guys, the cajoling and offers of free coffee helped to speed things up and at 1.30pm, the golfers were on their way to an afternoon of fun and competition on the course.


As soon as we learn of the return of the first buggy at the clubhouse, I knew 80% of our duty is over. Still, I could not breathe easy as we had some accountability stuff to take care of - the collection of the alcohol, utensils and the helpers on the golf course.


Running this event has had its challenges; not with the golf club nor the organizer's sponsors but with the organizers themselves. It's like a simmering pot of broth waiting to boil over, just to give you a better idea of what I mean. And just today at the debrief, the feigned ignorance and wane look of clue-lessness from that particular lady - I'll call her The Unique Character - did nothing constructive to the drying pot of broth except to fan the flames bigger.


I reacted with nothing more than a raised eyebrow. To say anything more is useless, to say nothing is probably the best.


As soon as my colleagues and I walked out of the building at the end of the debrief, I could breathe easier, at least for the next few days.


Will still be busy in the coming weeks as we need to move on to other events but I sure hope the process will be smoother and better.


till later.

No comments:

Post a Comment